Recommended resources for pregnancy
A reading list
Childbirth and Afterwards:
- Birth & Beyond by Dr. Yehudi Gordon The Definitive Guide to Your Pregnancy, Your Birth, Your Family: From Minus 9 to Plus 9 months. This provides balanced all round information. Up to date on exercise, technical facts, shows awareness of the emotional side of pregnancy birth and beyond.
- New Active Birth by Janet Balaskas.
- Yoga for Pregnancy by Wendy Teasdale
- Preparing for birth with Yoga by Janet Balaskas
- Complete Book of Pregnancy NCT/Daphne Maitland .
- Birth Without Violence by Frederick Leboyer. Even though much has changed since this was written it is still relevant. Leboyer introduced awareness of the baby’s experience of the birth.
- Wild Child: Wisdom and Traditions for Pregnancy, Birth and Motherhood.
- The Encyclopaedia of Pregnancy & Birth by Janet Balaskas & Yehudi Gordon.
- Alternative Therapies for Pregnancy & Birth by Pat Thomas. Well researched with some information for everyone.
- The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin
- Easy Exercises for Pregnancy by Janet Balaskas
- Birthing from Within By Pam England and Rob Horowitz
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
- Birth Reborn by Michel Odent
- Gentle birth, Gentle mothering by Sarah J. Buckley
- Bestfeeding By Mary Renfrew, Chloe Fisher and Suzanne Arms – the definitive guide to breastfeeding.
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, La Leche League. Deals with getting started and the long term with breastfeeding. Chatty in style.
- What Mothers Do – especially when it looks like nothing by Naomi Stadlen
- Baby Yoga by Francoise Barbira Freedman
- No Cry Sleep Solution by Elisabeth Pantely. Ideas to help parents help babies to find their own way of sleeping without imposing an adult-centered routine
- The Social Baby by Lynne Murray and Liz Andrews
- Baby Massage books by Peter Walker recommended
- Saying No, Why its important for you and your child by Asha Philips.
- How to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk by Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish.
- Raising Boys: Why boys are different – and how to help them to become happy and well balanced men by Steve Biddulph.
Yoga – general
- Awakening the Spine by Vanda Scaravelli
- Breath: the essence of Yoga by Sandra Sabatini